History and philosophy of science

History and philosophy of science

Give online
to History and philosophy of science

  • An orrery in the Whipple Museum's collection
    An orrery in the Whipple Museum's collection

The largest university department of its kind in the UK, the Department of History and Philosophy of Science has an outstanding international reputation for teaching and research.

The Department offers an MPhil in History, Philosophy and Sociology of Science, Technology and Medicine, with approximately 25 students per year. PhD students at any one time total approximately 45. There are also a number of Research Fellows and Visiting Scholars attached to the Department. 

The Department is a major centre for teaching and research in history of medicine. Expertise in this field covers an exceptionally wide range, from antiquity to the present, from the medieval universities to the postwar laboratory sciences, from anatomy to psychoanalysis. The Department's programme in history of medicine has been recognised by a strategic award from the Wellcome Trust.

Find out more

History and philosophy of science website

Gift announcements

Cambridge owes its world-leading excellence in research and teaching to the generosity of its supporters. Our history is synonymous with a history of far-sighted benefaction, and the same is as true today as it has ever been.

Gift announcement
LycaHealth, the new healthcare brand, have presented a donation of £150,000 to Cambridge University to support Sri Lankan students and improve public health in Sri Lanka.   
Gift announcement
Multi-million pound legacy to create a new 'Ray and Dagmar Dolby Court' at Pembroke College

Related impact stories

Philanthropic giving is at the heart of the success of the Collegiate University, enabling us to make discoveries that change the world and to ensure that our students received an unrivalled education.

Joseph da Costa Miranda’s Portuguese mariner’s compass (1711) held at the Whipple Museum
Philanthropic impact story
Nearly 70 years after Robert Whipple’s donation of scientific instruments and rare books to the University, his grandchildren and their families have established a permanent conservation fund.