Terms and conditions
- Website terms and conditions
- Event booking terms and conditions
- Alumni travel programme terms and conditions
- CAMCard terms and conditions
- 2019 Alumni Survey Prize Draw
Thank you for visiting our sites. As Development and Alumni Relations is an office of the University of Cambridge (‘we’/‘us’), the alumni.cam.ac.uk, philanthropy.cam.ac.uk, my.homerton.cam.ac.uk and my.kings.cam.ac.uk websites (‘our sites’/‘the alumni and philanthropy sites’) and their subdomains are governed by the same terms and conditions as the cam.ac.uk domain (‘central site’). These can be found in full at: www.cam.ac.uk/about-this-site/terms-and-conditions
Information specific to the alumni and philanthropy sites, including password-protected areas, and Development and Alumni Relations’ activities, such as communications, can be found below.
These terms apply to all users of and visitors to the site (‘you’). By proceeding to use the site you signify that you agree to be bound by the following conditions and documents referred to in them, as revised by us from time to time. Revised conditions take effect when published.
Information about us
The site belongs to the University of Cambridge (‘we’ or ‘us’) of The Old Schools, Trinity Lane, Cambridge, United Kingdom CB2 1TN.
Information about you and your visits to our site
Accessing our site
Your user password and any other piece of information provided as part of our security procedures is confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to the site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access the site through your internet connection are aware of these conditions and comply with them. Access to the site is always at our discretion and we may withdraw or amend the services provided on the site without notice. From time to time we may restrict access to some or all users to some or all parts of the site and sometimes the site may be unavailable. Whilst we aim to update our site regularly the content on our site may be out of date at any given time.
If we determine that you have breached any of these conditions, we may take such action as we deem appropriate, including disabling your password whether chosen by you or allocated by us. You agree to indemnify us for all claims brought by a third party against us arising out of or in connection with any breach by you of any warranty set out in the conditions.
You may use the site only for lawful purposes. You must not use the site:
in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation (including applicable law in the UK and the law of the country from which postings are made);
in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material that does not comply with the content standards;
to transmit or procure the sending of any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam);
to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses or any other computer code, programs or files designed to destroy, interrupt or limit the functionality of any computer, computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
Intellectual property rights
We are the owners or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in the site and in the material we publish on it. Contributions or material submitted by University of Cambridge staff and students (and others as prescribed) are also subject to the Statutes and Ordinances of the University of Cambridge, specifically Ordinances, Chapter XIII Finance and Property, Intellectual Property Rights, pp. 955-962: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/so/. All these works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved. You must acknowledge our status and that of any identified contributors as the authors of such material. Nothing contained in the site shall be taken, construed or considered as a grant of licence or right to use the trademarks of the University of Cambridge or that of any third party displayed on the site without the prior written permission of the respective owner/s. Subject to statutory allowances, extracts of material from our site may be accessed, downloaded and printed for your personal and non-commercial use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to material posted on the site.
You may not modify the paper or digital copies of any material printed off or downloaded in any way and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text. You must not use any part of the material on the site for direct or indirect commercial purposes or advantage without obtaining a licence from us or our licensors.
If you print, copy or download any part of the site in breach of these conditions, your right to use the site will cease immediately and you must at our option return or destroy any copies of material made.
Linking to our site
You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists. You must not establish a link from any website that is not owned by you. Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice. The website from which you are linking must comply in all respects with our acceptable use policy.
Linking from our site
Where our site contains links to other sites or resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. We are not responsible for examining or evaluating. We do not assume any responsibility or liability for the actions, products, and content of any of linked site or any other third-party.
Material posted on our site is not intended as, and must not be assumed to amount to, advice on which reliance may be placed.
We will not be responsible for any losses you suffer as a result of us breaching these conditions if the losses were reasonably foreseeable to both you and us when you began using our site. We will not be responsible for any business loss (including loss of profits, revenue, contracts, anticipated savings, data, goodwill or wasted expenditure) or any other indirect or consequential loss that was not reasonably foreseeable to both you and us when you began using the site. We do not limit in any way our liability by law for death or personal injury, caused from our negligence, or for any breach of duty, fraudulent misrepresentation, gross negligence or wilful misconduct nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
The name and shield of the University of Cambridge are trade marks.
You agree, as we do, to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts except that we may bring proceedings against you for breach of these conditions in your country of residence or any other relevant country.
If you breach these conditions and we take no action, we will still be entitled to use our rights and remedies in any other situation where you breach these conditions.
The headings in these conditions are for ease of reference only. Words preceding "include", "includes", "including" and "included" shall be construed without limitation by the words which follow those words. Definitions apply to any word derived from a defined word. Nothing in these conditions is intended to nor shall they confer any benefit on any third party whether under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 or otherwise. If any of these conditions is deemed invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that condition will be deemed severable and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining condition.
Questions or concerns - contact details
If you have any questions about our site or any concerns about material which appears on our site or if you wish to make any use of material on our site other than that as set out in these conditions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Filming and photography
Please be aware that there will be filming and photography at some events which will be shared on our websites and may be published in official University and College materials. Signage at events will indicate that filming may take place. Any guests who do not wish to be filmed or photographed should inform a member of staff on the day.
Refunds and cancellations for alumni events
- All events are subject to change including details such as advertised dates, speakers, locations and ticket prices.
- Events are run on a not-for-profit basis and any booking fees charged are to cover costs such as room hire, catering, staffing and speaker expenses.
- Development and Alumni Relations reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrolment or other circumstances which would make the event non-viable.
- If Development and Alumni Relations cancels an event, guests will be offered a full refund. However any expenses (including travel) incurred due to the cancellation of an event will not be refunded.
- Should circumstances arise that result in the postponement of an event, guests will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the new, future date.
- You may cancel your event booking within seven working days, beginning on the day you received your confirmation letter or email. You will receive a full refund of the price paid for the booking.
- Refunds after seven working days will only be given if the event in question is sold out and we are able to re-sell the tickets concerned. An administration fee of £5.00 per ticket will be charged for any places that are re-sold.
- Refunds cannot be processed online.
- All refund requests must be made by the person who made the original booking or the credit card holder.
- Refunds will not be given for guests who do not turn up to an event on the day.
- Cancellations will be accepted via phone, fax or e-mail. However, refund requests must be received in writing (either fax, email or post). If your booking was made online please enclose a copy of your original receipt or confirmation email including your reference number. Please contact us if you wish to enquire about a refund.
- Regrettably, Development and Alumni Relations cannot refund guests on occasions when bad weather prevents or discourages travel.These above policies apply to all Development and Alumni Relations Events unless otherwise noted in the corresponding event materials. Please read all individual event information thoroughly.
Development and Alumni Relations offers online booking for most events; however if you wish to pay by cheque, please write to us enclosing a cheque made payable to the ‘University of Cambridge’ for the correct amount. Please remember to include your name, address, College, subject, matriculation year, alumni number (available on your CAMCard) and all guest details (including College, subject and matriculation if applicable).
Alumni Group events
- All events are subject to change at the discretion of the organising Alumni Group.
- The Alumni Group reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrolment or other circumstances which would make the event non-viable.
- Cancellations and refunds will be made subject to the organising Alumni Group’s policies.
- Cancellations and requests for refunds made online will be passed on to the organising Alumni Group by the University, and will be dealt with by the relevant Alumni Group.
- Payment for Alumni Group events will be made directly to the relevant Alumni Group. The University does not handle money on behalf of the groups.
SMS event booking reminders
- We cannot control certain factors relating to message delivery and depending on the recipient's mobile service provider, it may not be possible to transmit the SMS message to the recipient successfully.
- There is no charge from us for sending the SMS reminder. However, we are not responsible for any charges made by mobile phone network providers that you may incur for the provision of this service, for example if you are roaming.
Booking changes, refunds and cancellations for Alumni Festival
Once you have made your Festival booking, our online booking system doesn't allow changes to your event selections or details. Please call +44 (0)1223 339951 to amend your booking and we will be pleased to assist you.
- Refunds for the Alumni Festival will only be given if cancellation is received by 10am UK time on 12 September 2019. After this date we regret that no refunds will be issued.
- For changes or cancellations to bookings for Collegiate, Departmental, Faculty or museum events, please contact the relevant institution directly.
- We would be grateful if you would inform the Development and Alumni Relations office if you are unable to attend an Alumni Festival event, no matter how late. Demand for places can be high and another alumnus/na might be able to attend in your stead.
The information provided on the website is for general information only. The operators have sole responsibility for the trips and the University has no control over or responsibility for the operation of the tours. All queries about individual trips should be addressed to the operator concerned.
Please note that prices listed are a guide only and may have changed since publication, due to currency fluctuations, for example. Contact the relevant operator for the most up-to-date price information.
The hotels, restaurants and other establishments are recommended only for their location in or near Cambridge. The University has no control over or responsibility for any bookings or standards of accommodation or service. Prices are just a guide and may vary throughout the year.
Access to Colleges is generally available when the Colleges are open to the public and/or visitors. On some occasions throughout the year, Colleges may be closed to all except current staff and students. College grounds are private property and visitor admission procedures and security arrangements may vary. Please visit the relevant Colleges' websites or telephone ahead of your visit to enquire about opening times, specified site entrances for visitors and so on.
Colleges may have particular visiting arrangements for their own alumni members in addition to the general CAMCard scheme - please contact your College's alumni office or porters' lodge to find out more.
On some occasions, CAMCard holders may be asked to provide additional ID to verify the details listed on the card.
- You will be automatically entered into a free prize draw when you complete the 2019 Alumni Survey through the Qualtrics survey platform accessed via the link published by the University of Cambridge in emails to you on this subject between November and December 2019.
- Winners must be over 18 years of age and alumni or former postdocs of the University of Cambridge. Employees of the University of Cambridge or any of its subsidiary companies, their families, agents or anyone else connected with this promotion, are not eligible to win.
- By entering, the participant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. Only one entry is permitted per person, and submitted entries are final and non-editable.
- The prizes include: - 1 x £500 voucher for Executive Education at the Cambridge Judge Business School*, - 1x £500 travel voucher from STA Travel, - 1x Cambridge merchandise pack, - 1x Book collection featuring well-known alumni authors. *This voucher cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount.
- The prizes are not transferable and no cash alternative is available.
- Prizes will be drawn in the order noted in point four (4) above.
- Entrants will be eligible for one prize each.
- The winners will be selected at random from all eligible entries submitted through the Qualtrics survey platform website in accordance with these Terms and Conditions by 12 noon BST on Monday 6 January 2020.
- The winners will be notified by email within 15 working days of the closing date. The prize must be claimed within six months of the date of notification.
- The Promoter is University of Cambridge Development and Alumni Relations, 1 Quayside, Bridge Street, Cambridge, CB5 8AB, United Kingdom.
- Details of the winners of each draw will be available four weeks after the relevant draw date by sending a stamped, addressed envelope, specifying the relevant prize draw name, to 2019 Alumni Survey prize draw, University of Cambridge Alumni and Development Relations, 1 Quayside, Bridge Street, Cambridge, CB5 8AB, United Kingdom.
- The Promoter reserves the right to withdraw this offer or amend these Terms and Conditions at any time without notice. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries that are not received for any reason.
- In the event of any dispute regarding the Terms and Conditions, the conduct, results and any other matters relating to this prize draw, the decision of the Promoter shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.