How to give to Cambridge

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. No matter how straightforward your question and regardless of the size of the gift you have in mind, we are here to help.

How to give to Cambridge

There are many ways in which you can make a gift to us. If you would like advice or guidance about your philanthropic donation, please get in touch.

If you are a UK taxpayer, you might like to read information about Gift Aid.

Donate on our website

You can make a one-off or recurring gift using a credit card or debit card or set up a direct debit wherever you see the 'Give online' button. We accept Mastercard, Visa and Maestro cards for gifts of more than GBP10.

Donate by telephone or by post

We are pleased to accept gifts made using a credit card or debit card by telephone. Call +44 (0)1223 332288 unless you are giving from the United States of America.

We can also accept gifts by post to our mailing address at the bottom of this page. You can pay by credit card, UK debit card, cheque, standing order or bank transfer. Please download a form from this page to accompany your instruction. Cheques should be made payable to 'The University of Cambridge'.

Give by legacy

A gift to Cambridge in your Will could help the University flourish far into the future. Many of our donors find that a gift in their Will is a good way to make a significant and lasting contribution. It may cost nothing in their lifetime, yet provide much satisfaction and peace of mind in prospect.

In order to make a gift by legacy, you might need to either draw up a new Will or to add a codicil (a supplementary clause) to your present Will. As the University and Colleges of Cambridge have charitable status, they may receive many gifts free of tax. Bequests or legacies may, therefore, be made to Cambridge free of UK Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax.

Bequests may be taken in many different forms: a pecuniary bequest (a specified sum of money), a residuary bequest (this comes from the remainder of an estate after other bequests have been made), a contingent or reversionary bequest (this means it is first left to a preceding beneficiary before it passes to the second beneficiary) as well as gifts in kind, such as property assets, works of art or collections of books and papers.

Gifts may be given to the University or to specific areas of the Collegiate community. If you would prefer to specify a certain Department, Faculty or College for your gift, then we will offer guidance or put you directly in touch with the appropriate advisor.

For further information or guidance on leaving a gift to Cambridge in your Will, please contact Holly Singlehurst at the University's Development and Alumni Relations Office or the relevant College.

Give non-cash assets

Tax relief is available to UK taxpayers donating shares and securities listed on the UK stock market, the Alternative Investment Market and recognised stock exchanges overseas. It is also available for units in a UK unit trust and shares in a UK open-ended investment company. You can claim income tax relief equal to the market value of the shares on the day the gift is made, plus any associated costs such as the brokers’ fees.

Gifts of land or property made during a donor’s lifetime attract the same tax incentives as gifts of shares, and other forms of a non-cash gift (such as works of art, books, manuscripts and equipment) may also be considered as gifts to Cambridge. To find out more, please contact us early in the process so that we can work with your financial advisers to help arrange the transaction.

Talk to a fundraiser to discuss a major gift

If you would like to discuss ways to meet your charitable goals with one of our major gift fundraisers, please contact one of our Associate Directors.

Give from North America

From the United States of America

You can donate via Cambridge in America if you are based in the USA. Cambridge in America is a 501c(3) tax-exempt organisation which funds grants that benefit the University of Cambridge and its member Colleges. Outright gifts, bequests and transfers made via Cambridge in America are deductible for federal estate and tax gift purposes if they meet the applicable provisions of the United States Internal Revenue Code.

If you are subject to tax in both the UK and US, you can give through Cambridge in America (UK) Ltd, a registered charity in England, and be simultaneously eligible for tax benefits in both countries.

From Canada

If you are based in Canada, you can donate directly to the University of Cambridge as we are registered as a 'prescribed university outside Canada' with the Canada Revenue Agency. We will automatically send you a receipt for your gift that is acceptable to the Canadian tax authorities. For further information, please contact our finance team at Development and Alumni Relations or the relevant College

About Gift Aid (UK taxpayers)

Gift Aid makes a great difference to Cambridge and costs you nothing extra. For every pound donated by a UK taxpayer (excluding companies), the University can reclaim 25% (based on tax year 2018/19) from HM Revenue and Customs. So a £100 donation made under Gift Aid is worth £125 to Cambridge. In addition, donors who are higher-rate or additional rate taxpayers can claim personal tax relief on the difference between the higher/additional rate of tax (currently 40% and 45% respectively) and the basic rate in their self-assessment return. This is worth 25 pence for every pound donated by higher rate taxpayers and 31 pence for additional rate taxpayers. Gift Aid can apply to donations of any amount, large or small, made by cash, cheque, standing order, debit or credit card. You can use the calculator below to see the effect Gift Aid could have on your donation to Cambridge.

To make a Gift Aid donation, an individual would need to have paid or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs that the individual donates to and will reclaim in that tax year. You can either confirm this during the online giving process or complete and return a Gift Aid declaration form.

Other ways to support Cambridge

You can support Cambridge in a number of different ways, from volunteering your time to keeping your contacts aware of the University's news and research.