Ways to give

Ways to give

Every gift to Collegiate Cambridge counts.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. No matter how straightforward your question and regardless of the size of the gift you have in mind, we are here to help.

Donate on our website

You can make a gift using a credit card or debit card wherever you see the 'Give online' button on this website. Our website is mobile-friendly which means that you can support Cambridge wherever you may be.

Donate by telephone or by post

We are pleased to accept gifts made using a credit card or debit card by telephone. Call +44 (0)1223 332288 unless you are giving from the United States of America.

We can also accept gifts by post to our mailing address at the bottom of this page. You can pay by credit card, debit card, cheque, standing order or bank transfer. Please download a form from the right-hand side of the page to accompany your instruction. Cheques should be made payable to 'The University of Cambridge'.

Give by legacy

A gift to Cambridge in your Will could help the University flourish far into the future. For many people, a planned gift in their Will is a good way to make a significant and lasting contribution. It may cost nothing in their lifetime, yet provide much satisfaction and peace of mind in prospect. The Development and Alumni Relations office would be pleased to advise you on making gifts in your Will and on planning how best to support the University through your estate. To arrange a discussion, please contact us.

Give non-cash assets

Tax relief is available to UK taxpayers donating shares and securities listed on the UK stock market, the Alternative Investment Market and recognised stock exchanges overseas. It is also available for units in a UK unit trust and shares in a UK open-ended investment company. You can claim income-tax relief equal to the market value of the shares on the day the gift is made, plus any associated costs such as the brokers’ fees.

Gifts of land or property made during a donor’s lifetime attract the same tax incentives as gifts of shares, and other forms of non-cash gift (such as works of art, books, manuscripts and equipment) may also be considered as gifts to Cambridge. To find out more, please contact us early in the process so that we can work with your financial advisers to help arrange the transaction.

Talk to a fundraiser to discuss a major gift

If you would like to discuss ways to meet your charitable goals with one of our major gift fundraisers, please contact one of our Associate Directors.

Give from North America

From the United States of America

You can donate via Cambridge in America if you are based in the USA. Cambridge in America is a 501c(3) tax-exempt organisation which funds grants that benefit the University of Cambridge and its member Colleges. Outright gifts, bequests and transfers made via Cambridge in America are deductible for federal estate and tax gift purposes if they meet the applicable provisions of the United States Internal Revenue Code.

If you are subject to tax in both the UK and US, you can give through Cambridge in America (UK) Ltd, a registered charity in England, and be simultaneously eligible for tax benefits in both countries.

From Canada

If you are based in Canada, you can donate directly to the University of Cambridge or one of its member Colleges. We are registered as a 'prescribed university outside Canada' with the Canada Revenue Agency. We will automatically send you a receipt for your gift that is acceptable to the Canadian tax authorities. 

About Gift Aid (UK tax payers)

Gift Aid makes a great difference to Cambridge and costs you nothing extra. For every pound donated by a UK tax payer (excluding companies), Cambridge can reclaim 25% (based on tax year 2013/14) from HM Revenue and Customs. So a £100 donation made under Gift Aid is worth £125 to Cambridge. In addition, donors who are higher-rate or additional rate taxpayers can claim personal tax relief on the difference between the higher/additional rate of tax (currently 40% and 45% respectively) and the basic rate in their Self Assessment Return. This is worth 25 pence for every pound donated by higher rate taxpayers and 31 pence for additional rate taxpayers. Gift Aid can apply to donations of any amount, large or small, made by cash, cheque, standing order, debit or credit card.

To make a Gift Aid donation, an individual would need to have paid or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs that the individual donates to and will reclaim in that tax year. You can either confirm this during the online giving process or complete and return a Gift Aid declaration form.

Other ways to support Cambridge

You can support Cambridge in a number of different ways, from volunteering your time to keeping your contacts aware of the University's news and research.

Useful documents